The 2018 BEAMS Marathon Festival Weekend (or BEAMSfest for short) will occur during March 15-17. Featuring music by Brandeis students and guest composers, BEAMSfest will be three days of thrilling performances and brand new music. The festival is supported by a grant from the Brandeis Arts Council.
Use this page to find up-to-date information on scheduling, travel, lodging, and logistics.
Pamela Z (our guest-of-honor)
Interested in one of these workshops? Sign up here!
Workshop 1: Friday, March 16th, 12:15pm, Getz Media Lab
Elainie Lillios – Creating a Toolbox in Max/MSP. Routing, event triggering, and using poly~ for creating multiple instances of effects.
Keynote Presentation: Friday March 16th, 2:00pm – Slosberg
Pamela Z will be giving the Keynote Presentation
Workshop 2: Friday, March 16th, 3:45pm – Getz Media Lab
Christopher Biggs – Intro to sound in the digital world: Analyzing and controlling sound characteristics in Logic Pro.
Workshop 3: Saturday, March 17th, 1:30pm – Getz Media Lab
Elainie Lillios – Hack My Patch! In this workshop, attendees will be dissecting one of Elainie’s patches to find out what makes it tick.
SPLICE Panel: Saturday, March 17th, 3:00pm – SPLICE Ensemble, Shapiro Center
SPLICE Ensemble will be giving a presentation on working with performers and electronics. Tips, tricks, and strategies.
Workshop 4: Saturday, March 17th, 4:15pm – Getz Media Lab
Christopher Biggs – Intro to Gen~: Building Modulating Delay Based Effects.
Concert 1: Thursday, March 15th at 7:30PM in Berlin Chapel
Transient Canvas performs music by Brandeis composers, our call for scores winner, and works by Lansing McLoskey, Dan VanHassel, and Kirsten Volness
- Dan VanHassel – Epidermis
- Kristen Volness – Year Without A Summer
- Lansing McLoskey – Agitprop
- Tyler Adamthwaite – Twitch
- Gleb Kanasevich – inexorable mundanity
- Chin-Shuo Wu – Gravitational Waves
- Marissa Hickman – Anatomy of an Infinite Machine
- Brian Sears – TREMENDOUS!!
Concert 2: Friday, March 16th at 10:30AM in Slosberg Concert Hall
Featuring, SPLICE Ensemble:
- Elainie Lillios – Listening Beyond, 8 channel Ambisonics
- Alex Christie – Quiet Music for Ensemble (simple switches cause hits and misses)
- Christopher Biggs – Decoherence, trumpet and electronics
- Caroline Miller – Elliptic, piano and percussion
- Elainie Lillios – Nostalgic Visions, piano and live, interactive electroacoustics
- Christopher Biggs – Letter to the Moon, trumpet, piano and percussion
- Brian Belet – Loose Canon, trumpet, piano and percussion
Concert 3: Friday, March 16th at 5:00PM in Shapiro Campus Center
- Francesa Hilditch – Anxiolytic Enumeration, fixed media
- Ted Moore – it teaches us that it doesn’t exist, cymbal and feedback
- G. Blake Harrison-Lane – Squissael, fixed media
- Joanna Podias – φως
- Stephen Hennessey – Flown, voice and electronics
- Carolyn Borcherding – Vesper, fixed media
- Tao Li – Wu Ren Kan Ji, cello and fixed media
Concert 4: Friday, March 16th at 8:00PM in Slosberg Music Center
A solo concert by Pamela Z.
Concert 5: Saturday, March 17th at 11:00AM in Slosberg Music Center
- Inga Chinilina – Trio, for trumpet, piano and percussion
- Sam Torres – Canticle, saxophone and live electronics
- Jeremy Rapaport-Stein – Tiny, for trumpet and percussion
- Heather Stebbins – what I am not, quad audio
- Talia Amar – Triangulation, piano and electronics
- Viola Yip – Vibrations Vivantes III, lightbulbs and live electronics
- Brian Sears – …to flame…
Concert 6: Saturday, March 17th at 6:30PM in Slosberg Music Center
- Nathaniel Haering – Medical Text No. 57, voice and live electronics
- Lowell Fuchs – for decorative purposes only, found objects and electronics
- Kristina Warren – 8 Paces
- David Ibbett – Europa, tone poem for flute and electronics
- Davide Ianni – Beneath the Music from a Further Room, double bass and bass drums
- Brian Topp – Ljos, soprano saxophone and electronics
Concert 7: Saturday, March 17th at 8:00PM in Slosberg Music Center
- Tyler Adamthwaite – Twitch
- Giusseppe Desiato – De Animalibus
- Jeremy Rapaport-Stein – Humbugs
- Talia Amar – Collision
- Tyondai Braxton – music for ensemble and pitch shifter / delay